Thursday, August 22, 2013

African Drumstick (Nigella)

You must be thinking, another Nigella's chicken recipe? :o)  As I've mentioned before, when Nigella comes to mind, I always think of delicious roasted chicken recipes. I was smiling to myself when I was reading my baking buddy Zoe's post today, a delicious moist Quadruple Chocolate Cake. Zoe is really into Nigella's chocolate recipes, and I'm with Nigella's chicken recipes. This is the fifth chicken recipe of Nigella's that I've posted this month, and actually, I have a couple more! No, I did not cook all of the chicken recipes this month, in case you are wondering, some of it I have tried during the last two months. Though I may not have enough of time to post all of them in August, I would in the coming months!

Today's chicken recipe is "African Drumstick", a recipe adapted by Nigella, which she got from a friend of hers. Nigella tweaked the recipe by using chicken drumstick, which originally was made with pork, and to reduce the amount of sweetness by lessening the amount of apricot jam.


The only changes I made was to replace the English mustard with Dijon, as that was what I had and orange marmalade for the apricot jam. Nigella's recipe does not mention any salt, I have however added some salt to taste when I mixed the marinade. 

This is a very easy dish to make, the drumsticks are marinated with all the ingredients, and I have placed the marinated drumsticks in the refrigerator, covered, for three hours, and then bake in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour until cooked through, basting twice in-between.

Lian from Whatever You Do has made this dish too, check out her post!


The drumsticks are really tender, moist and the marinating sauce has slightly thickened to a salty and slightly sweet gravy. Kids would love this dish. I served these drumsticks with some couscous and cherry tomatoes, which I will be sharing in next post. 



African Drumstick
(adapted from "Nigella Kitchen", Nigella Lawson)
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons English mustard, or to taste (I use Dijon mustard)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon apricot jam (I use orange marmalade)
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
8 chicken drumsticks, preferably organic
1 tablespoon garlic flavoured oil
salt to taste
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Mix the Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, ground ginger, apricot jam, and chopped onion in a shallow dish.
  2. Dunk the drumsticks in this marinade to coat them all over. (If it helps, you could at this stage leave them to marinate, covered, in the refrigerator overnight). Put the oil into a smallish roasting pan or ovenproof dish, in which the drumsticks will fit snugly, and tip the pan about so that the oil more or less covers the base. Arrange the drumsticks in the pan and pour over them any remaining marinade.
  3. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, basting once or twice; the deeper the dish, the longer the drumsticks will take to colour and cook through.
Make Ahead Note :
The chicken can be marinated overnight in a covered bowl in the refrigerator.

Freeze Note :
The chicken can be frozen in the marinade in a resealable bag for up to 3 monhts. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator (put bag in a bowl to catch drips) and cook following directions in recipe.

#80/100

I'm linking this post to Cook Like A Star, where the featured chef for this month is NIGELLA LAWSON. Cook Like A Star is an event organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, and the co-hosts for this month are Anuja from Simple Baking and me, Joyce from Kitchen Flavours. Cook or bake any of Nigella Lawson's recipes and link your posts to any of the hosts' linky which will stay open for the whole month of August. All submissions to this event must be current posts, published within the current month of this event, any older posts will be deleted. Please mention and link Cook Like A Star somewhere in your post. Do join us, everyone is welcome!



Cook Like A Star featuring Nigella Lawson, from 1st August to 31st August 2013




22 comments:

  1. Joyce, bring on the chicken hah! hah! I love chicken recipes and this one sounds so yummy. I have got marmalade and apricot jam sitting in the fridge so.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce,

    I laughed reading your comment. Please come over to my house for chocolate cake for your dessert after you finished eating your delicious chicken :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce,
    This seems to be a favorite for CLAS for Nigella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made this recipe before and absolutely love it! thanks for reminding me I'll be making it again soon for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce, Recently i had saw many recipes from Nigella Lawson and i wanted to join this team too! Hope at last i can bake it too! hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce
    Going thru the ingredients for this dish, this must be really a flavourful dish from Nigella! I need to go to get some ingredients first before I can make this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce! Haha I was on a Nigella craze this month too, but don't think have enough time to bake/cook them all! Maybe should host a Nigella Part 2 next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I m a huge fan of Nigella and I remember this recipe. your changes put your own print on it and that must be perfect :)
    As far as I'm concerned, I would prefer orange jam as apricot jam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce, your Africa drumstick looks inviting!!!!!
    Hope I'm able to try Nigella's recipe too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Joyce! May I have this for dinner! I am hungry looking at the drumstick?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've tried this recipe, too and yes, it is really good! Salt is definately a good addition. Your chicken looks mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like the worcheshire and the ketchup sauce in there...jam sounds good too, since you said very good, then it must be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joyce , love chicken and this recipe is a must :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comThursday, August 22, 2013

    Joyce, this drumstick is so tempting... Imagining myself eating it and licking my fingers! slurppp..........

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joyce, Looking at it makes me so hungry. Must be finger-licking good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My daughter will love this! She loves drumsticks and this dish looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. African cuisine is one that I haven't attempted to cook yet. I'll have to try these to start!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I should try some of Nigella's chicken recipes too, cos they sound really easy to make and looks delicious from your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The marinade for this chicken looks so good! I am sure its really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Joyce, thanks for the mention. Your chicken with couscous look just as delicious;D

    ReplyDelete
  21. This and the chicken below both sound delicious. I never get tired of chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Joyce! Lovely chicken dish! And your sides were both so healthy! :D

    ReplyDelete