Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Classic Cinnamon Rolls : Bake-Along #49

Bake-Along #49 is Classic Cinnamon Rolls, recipe from The Williams-Sonoma Baking Book, chosen by my baking buddy, Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids


The dough is initially mixed in the stand mixer, then I remove it halfway through and continue the kneading by hand. The dough is soft and needs some sprinkling of flour now and then. I use the full amount of flour as indicated in the recipe, 4 cups exactly. I did reduce the sugar as I find that it contains quite a lot of sugar. Refer to my adjustments in blue from the recipe below. The dough rises really fast, in less than an hour, it has already risen to more than doubled in size. I did not check on it earlier and was rather surprised to see that it has risen so well.


The sweet sticky glaze at the bottom of the pan is a mixture of brown sugar, melted butter and corn syrup, these are mix to a paste and spread over the bottom of the pan.

The dough are rolled to a rectangular, spread with raisins, I have used golden raisins and did not soak the raisins as specified in the recipe. Press the raisins lightly into the dough and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture all over. Roll the dough up tightly and cut into 16 pieces. Place the rolls, cut side up on the prepared baking pan. Recipe calls for 2 pans of 9" diameter to fit 7 rolls each. I thought of using a 10" square pan and fit everything in, by making 16 rolls instead of 14. But the pan is not big enough for all 16 rolls, I could fit in only 12 and the balance 4 rolls are baked in a small pan.

Leave the rolls to rise, covered until doubled in bulk. Brush with melted butter just before baking.


These rolls smells so cinnamony nice while they are baking in the oven. I can't wait for it to finish baking!  Once they are golden brown and cooked, remove them to a wire rack to cool.


The bottom of the rolls, so gooey and sticky and yummy!


These rolls are so delicious! The bread is soft and so good with the sticky gooey glaze. Even though I've reduced the sugar, I still find it a little sweet, but then gooey sticky cinnamon rolls are supposed to be sweet! I'm glad I reduced the sugar, may reduce it a little bit more when I make this the next time. All the rolls are gone by the next day! I love the raisins, coated with the cinnamon-sugar mixture is yummy, I've enjoyed picking up the ones that has dropped off from the rolls! :)

Please visit my baking buddies, Lena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, and all our friends who has baked along with us in the linky below :

For our next Bake-Along, we will be baking based on a theme where our theme is "Theme : Rugelach". You may bake any Rugelach recipe of your choice and link your post to the our blog-hop linky which will start on  29th August right up to 7th September. Everyone is welcome! 


Photobucket


A friendly reminder when linking to our blog hop :
1. Please mention Bake-Along event in your own post linking direct to any of the hosts' post (JoyceLena or Zoe)
2. Please link only new and current post, related to the current bake or theme provided by us. Unrelated post will be deleted.
3. Feel free to display our Bake-Along badge in your post.


Classic Cinnamon Rolls
(adapted from "The Williams-Sonoma Baking Book")
1/4 cup (60 ml) warm water (110-115°F / 43-46°C)
1/2 cup (125g) plus 1 tsp granulated sugar (I use 1/3 cup)
2-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
3-1/2 to 4 cups (545-625g) all-purpose flour (I use 4 cups bread flour)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
2 large egg yolks
1 cup (250 ml) warm whole milk (110-115°F / 43-46°C)
1 1/2 cups (330 g) firmly packed light brown sugar (I use 1 cup)
6 tbsp (90 g) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup (155 g) light corn syrup (I use 3 tbsp)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (90 g) raisins, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes, drained, and squeezed dry


In a bowl, combine the warm water and 1 tsp granulated sugar. Sprinkle with the yeast and let stand for 2 minutes, then swirl and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.

Spread the butter over the bottom and halfway up the sides of a large bowl. In another large bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups (545 g) of the flour, the 1/2 cup (125 g) granulated sugar (I use 1/3 cup), and the salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture, egg yolks, and warm milk. Slowly mix together until the dough can be formed into a large ball. Transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Knead, sprinkling with the remaining flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking, until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.



Gather the dough into a ball, place in the buttered bowl, and turn to coat all sides with butter. Cover with a kitchen towel. Set in a warm, draft-free place and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.



In a bowl, mix 3/4 cup (185 g) of the brown sugar (I use 1/2 cup), 2 tbsp of the melted butter, and the corn syrup (I use 3 tbsps) to a smooth paste. Scoop half into each of two 9-inch (23-cm) round cake pans and spread over the bottoms. In a small bowl, mix together the remaining brown sugar  (I use 1/2 cup) and the cinnamon.



Punch down the dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll into a 10-by-18-inch (25 x 45 cm) rectangle. Brush with 2 tbsp of the melted butter. Scatter with the raisins, pressing them in lightly. Sprinkle the dough with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Starting at one long edge, roll the dough tightly into a cylinder. Cut off and discard the rough ends. Cut the cylinder crosswise into 14 rounds. Place 1 round in the center of each pan. Arrange the remaining rounds around it. Cover and let the dough rounds rise until doubled, 45-60 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Brush the rolls with the remaining melted butter. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Place a wire rack over each pan and invert the rolls. Let cool and break apart to serve.


#72/100

To join our blog hop, click on the link to get the codes
get the InLinkz code

29 comments:

  1. The last photo shows that the cinnamon roll is really fluffy, it must be so soft :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rolls look so delicious and inviting. Wonderfully prepared.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce,

    Like yours, my rolls are puffing up like crazy too! I reckon this recipe is fantastic. Lucky that I made the change... Otherwise, we have to eat more butter - LOL!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good! I love the sticky gruey look of the rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce, I am excited! This must be a good recipe. Are the rolls just as soft and nice the next day? I want to bake these for a early morning meeting and do not have time to wait for 2nd proofing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lian,
      This recipe is good, the rolls are not as soft on the next day, but you could heat it up, covered in aluminium foil and bake for 10 minutes or so.
      I have made yesterday another bread from KAF for one of my other baking group, that bread is fantastic, it was so, so soft and it remains soft when I ate it this morning, one of the best sweet bread I've made, maybe you would like to give it a try, I will post that soon.
      Link is here :
      http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/braided-lemon-bread-recipe

      Delete
    2. Sounds really good...hope can find time to make this and also that scrumptious chocolate cake of yours!:D

      Delete
  6. Looks great! Not making cinnamon rolls for quite sometimes. Hope manage to bake some after back from holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce! The roll is indeed very sticky and sweet! I love cinnamon so I ate quite a few rolls and I'm feeling so guilty now... haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce, my hubby loves cinnamon rolls, me too but never try b4! Feel like biting your cinnamon rolls right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ricos y esponjosos me gustan los rollos de canela,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy and flavourful cinnamon rolls., looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello joyce! yes, so so soft and fluffy, love them! and the glaze is so good on the buns! btw, thx for your reply on the ice cream bags :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comWednesday, August 07, 2013

    Hi Joyce, just love this cinnamon rolls! Hopefully to give this a try too...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Each time I see cinnamon rolls, I want to give a try. But as I'm scared that cinnamon's flavor would be too strong. This is a spice we use very carefully, in France. I should try anyway. One day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. omy I really love cinnamon rolls, and these look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. cinnamon rolls is no easy task. Yours look delicious and i love your glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very tempting and prefect looking rolls..

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful rendition of an all-time favorite! They look so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ah! this one I will not miss! drool....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Joyce, these rolls puffed up very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Joyce, I love cinnamon rolls! I attempted baking them a while back but was not successful. They turned out hard :( I must try again using this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. For sure a delicious bread ! Hopefully , I can bake this before the deadline :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. Joyce,
    This cinnamon rolls look so yummy!
    No wonder it is gone within a day in your kitchen.
    Love the soft bread and the goey glaze:)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  23. I truly enjoy looking through on this website , it holds fantastic blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for this recipe! It was my first attempt at making cinnamon rolls and it was a huge success. Everyone simply loved them.

    Zia
    I found the best Mesothelioma Lawyer Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete