Monday, August 19, 2013

Mini Lime-Syrup Sponges

I have some limes left (from my previous post here), and was looking for some simple lime recipes. I need not look that far, this delightful Mini Lime-Syrup Sponges is from Nigella's "How To Be A Domestic Goddess".

These Mini Lime-Syrup Sponges are really nice! If you have some limes in your fridge, I would recommend you to give this recipe a try. Even if you do not have any limes right now, a good idea to get some limes on your next trip to the market or supermarket. Or like what Nigella suggests, instead of limes, you can replace with lemons, oranges or even a mixture of oranges and limes juices. Perhaps I'll try the orange-lime mixture the next time.



These mini cakes bakes up high and golden.


The recipe is for 8 mini cakes, but I got only 7, filling the moulds about two thirds full. Recipe uses self-raising cake flour, since my cake flour is not self-raising, I have added in 1-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder. And have reduced the sugar slightly to scant 1/2 cup, original calls for 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon. 

A breeze to make, the batter takes just minutes to mix, and while the cakes are baking, prepare the lime syrup. Mix some lime juice and confectioners' sugar in a saucepan over medium low heat until the sugar dissolves. Once the cakes are done, remove the pan from the oven, poke the cake all over with a skewer and spoon over each cake evenly with the lime syrup all over, making sure the centre of the cake absorbs the syrup. Let the cake cool in the pan. 


Garnish with some grated lime zest before serving.


It has a very soft, moist and tender texture. Not too sweet and I like it that the lime syrup uses confectioner's sugar making it less sweet than if granulated sugar is used. A light limey taste and fragrance, without being too citrusy, simply delightful. I love it! Yums!


Mini Lime-Syrup Sponges
(adapted from "How To Be A Domestic Goddess", Nigella Lawson)
Makes 8
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar (I use scant 1/2 cup)
2 large eggs
zest of 1 lime
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons self-raising cake flour (I use cake flour plus 1-1/2 tsps baking powder)
pinch of salt (omit this, since butter is salted)
4 tablespoons milk

8-cup mini-loaf pan, buttered very well

for the syrup :
4 tablespoons lime juice (of 1-2 limes)
zest for decoration
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Cream together the butter and sugar, and add the eggs and lime zest, beating them in well. Add the flour and salt, folding in gently, and then the milk. Spoon into the mini-loaf pan, and cook for 
25 minutes.

While the cakes are cooking, prepare the syrup by putting the lime juice and sugar into a small saucepan and heating gently so that the sugar dissolves.

As soon as the mini-sponges are ready, take them out of the oven and prick them with a cake-tester all over. Pour over the syrup evenly. Try to let the middle absorb the liquid as well as the sides, then leave it to soak up the rest. Don't try to take the cakes out of the pan until they have cooled slightly and the syrup looks like it has been absorbed, but be aware that if you leave these to cool completely they might be very difficult to get out of the pan.
(mine was easily removed with no problem at all)

So, after an hour or two, turn them out onto a rack and grate some lime zest over them before serving.

#78/100

I'm linking this post to Cook Like A Star, where the featured chef for this month is NIGELLA LAWSON. Cook Like A Star is an event organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, and the co-hosts for this month are Anuja from Simple Baking and me, Joyce from Kitchen Flavours. Cook or bake any of Nigella Lawson's recipes and link your posts to any of the hosts' linky which will stay open for the whole month of August. All submissions to this event must be current posts, published within the current month of this event, any older posts will be deleted. Please mention and link Cook Like A Star somewhere in your post. Do join us, everyone is welcome!



Cook Like A Star featuring Nigella Lawson, from 1st August to 31st August 2013




 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg



and Little Thumbs Up, where the ingredient for this month is Eggs, hosted by Baby Sumo from Eat Your Heart Out, and organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, together with Doreen from My Little Favourite D.I.Y.



27 comments:

  1. Joyce, I can imagine the lime fragrance, looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said this is very very good, I am going to try this because I have decided to make the ai yu jelly with lime very soon but I must get a mini-loaf pan and confectioners' sugar first :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce, hmmm, I imagine that even without the lime syrup the cake itself will also taste nice since you have added the lime zest inside? OK, I'm no.3 today, still can grab a cake here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, these mini cakes look adorable! I have yet to try any lime flavoured cakes but based on my good experience with oranges, I am sure I will love these cakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds FAB and I do love your mini loaf pan!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just loooove lemon and sponge cake. Yours are really beautiful, joyce ans they seem cheewy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The texture is so moist and crumbly! The lime flavour must make it really refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce, I must try and find these mini loaf pans. Did u get yours from a baking supply shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen,
      I bought it from Aino, RM19 and non-stick.

      Delete
  9. Wow, your mini sponge cakes looks beautiful and delicious. Love the lime flavour too :)
    Must try this recipe next time, thanks Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joyce, These mini cakes look so beautiful. I must get the mini loaf pan first. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comTuesday, August 20, 2013

    Joyce, look at the colour of the cake! It's so beautiful and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joyce, the mini cakes look delicious! Reminds me of one of our lemon buttermilk cake some time back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. halo friend, you are so hard working ..coming up with so many posts..you are like into blogging marathon! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Joyce, these mini loafs are so cute and yes, I love the lime syrup...since I will having lots of lime (I hope) from my backyard, I will definitely be trying this...look delicious.
    Have a great week ahead :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joyce, your mini loaves are perfect and I wish I had one. I love love lime and this is a must try. Thanks for the recipe and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such delectable mini-loaves! I imagine the lime syrup makes these extra moist as well as adding more yummy flavor :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Joyce,

    Your mini lime loaves look very pretty... They look like they are wearing green ribbons on their heads :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  18. these ar amazing!!! I love Nigella and love mini loaves Joyce and look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Tammy! These look so delicious. And I love the little zest you put on top. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Joyce , I just love the look of your mini-sponges ! They look pretty dainty and the lime syrup sounds wonderful in these bake :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tasty golden brown citrus mini cakes that I would love to have for breaky now! Send some over if still ada! LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. These mini lime sponges look SOOOOOOO pretty and easy to make. You know what, Joyce? Yep, bookmarked :-D

    ReplyDelete
  23. These cakes are very tempting and they area great way to use up extra limes. Your photos are wonderful as well. I hope your week is off to a great start. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Joice es un gran pan totalmewnte irresistible,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete